The 3rd Special Forces Battalion (3SFBn) and the 544th Engineer Construction Battalion will provide the manpower and equipment to build Lumad schools in time for the June 2020 classes.
These schools in far-flung communities will replace the Tribal Filipino Program of Surigao del Sur (TRIFPSS), which will be closed for failure to comply with the Department of Education requirements to operate as an alternative learning school.
Surigao del Sur Governor Alexander T. Pimentel worked with the Department of Education-Caraga and Regional Development Council XIII, led by Bayugan Mayor Kirk A. Asis, to build the makeshift rooms to replace the alleged communist-influenced schools.
DepEd-Caraga regional director Cesar Bringas said they are targeting the opening and operationalization of the makeshift schools in Km. 9 and Sitio Lucnodon by the start of the school year.
“The makeshift schools will be constructed and hopefully be operational on June,” Director Bringas, said.
The beneficiary communities were identified from the ocular inspection of proposed DepEd IP schools sites in the conflict-affected communities of Sitio Simowao (Km. 9), Diatagon, Lianga and Sitio Lucnudon, Mahaba, and Marihatag of Surigao del Sur on March 2.
Lianga Mayor Novelita M. Sarmen and Marihatag Mayor Justine Pelenio expressed their support and gratitude to the prime movers of the DepEd school project since it will give IP children access to basic education.
Col. Allan D Hambala, 401st Infantry Brigade commander, said the development and increased economic activities in far-flung areas would help steer the people away from being recruited into the New People’s Army.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021