The Philippine Eagle Foundation (PEF) will be featuring the city’s wildlife in an exhibit that will be undertaken next month.
PEF, in partnership with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) XI, University of Mindanao, SM Lanang Premier, and Whitley Fund for Nature, will be presenting the “Wildlife is Here 2020: Biodiversity Super Year.”
The interactive exhibit featuring the wildlife of Davao City will be held at the atrium of SM Lanang Premier on March 3 and will run until March 8.
The week-long exhibit will also be in celebration of the UN World Wildlife Day.
Dr. Jayson Ibañez, PEF director for research and conservation said the exhibit is aimed to highlight the critical role of wildlife and humans in achieving long-term and sustainable development.
“It is designed to facilitate self-learning, encourage Davaoeños of all ages and backgrounds to become citizen scientists, and develop a sense of biodiversity consciousness,” Ibañez told reporters during the Connect media forum at SM Lanang Premiere yesterday.
“In terms of getting more public participation, we believe that experiential learning opportunities would be very formal. One of the things that we are doing is to popularize wildlife,” Ibañez added.
Further, taxidermy of specimens of various animals like the Philippine Eagle, Palm Civet, and the Crested Goshawk will be displayed, alongside posters of other wildlife found in Davao region. Different species of beetles and butterflies will also be showcased in the event where visitors will be given a chance to see it through a microscope.
“Wildlife is here” celebration is already on its third year.
SM Supermalls Mindanao regional operations manager Jonathan Nick Santos said that SM Lanang Premier supports the efforts of PEF in its advocacy in raising awareness on environmental conservation, as SM has already been a home of the said exhibition for almost three years already.
“Through this project with the PEF, SM leads by example in illustrating the importance of collaboration when it comes to sparking conservation on sustainability and the environment,” he said.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021