About 3,000 security forces will be deployed to secure the areas where activities will be conducted during the 83rd Araw ng Dabaw celebration, the city’s founding anniversary.
It will open on Sunday with a mass at 4pm at San Pedro Cathedral.
Speaking on Wednesday’s AFP-PNP press briefing held at The Royal Mandaya Hotel, Angel Sumagaysay, the chief of Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC), said there are only four major events that will be conducted in March: the Misa Pasasalamat, Araw ng Dabaw Light Show, Dabawenyo Ako, and Lantaw Dabawenyo.
All other activities traditionally conducted were canceled by Mayor Sara Duterte last February 10 to avoid the spread of Covid-19 which remains a threat to the health of the people.
Her decision is in compliance with the Feb. 7 advisory of the Department of Health that discourages the public to go to crowded places to prevent infection as the virus is airborne and can be transmitted through human interaction.
The mayor said that the health care facilities in the city are very limited. “We cannot possibly carry hundreds of sick individuals all at the same time. Because of these limitations, the city government’s plan for its residents is to ensure that we do not get the infection,” she added.
PSSC chief Sumagaysay said they are also preparing a security plan for the four events as they will be deploying about 3,000 integrated security personnel from March 1 to 16.
“Also our security is already in place so hopefully you are there (referring to the media) during the opening,” he added.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos