With Asian Games gold medallist Ernie Gawilan earning his pass to Tokyo 2020, the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) is heartened to continue its support to the National Paralympic Team for more qualifiers to follow his steps.
Gawilan, one of the country’s bemedalled para swimmers, secured a slot given by the International Paralympic Committee through his qualifying points from competitions such as the 2018 Asian Para Games and the 2019 World Para Swimming Championships.
The PSC consistently supports this campaign by providing Philippine Sports Association for the Philippine Paralympic Committee (PPC) financial aid and foreign exposure for its athletes.
Gawilan, as part of the National Paralympic Swimming Team, currently trains in the newly-built Aquatic Center in New Clark City, Capas, Tarlac and is supported by the sports agency.
For the month of January alone, the PSC has given the national para swimming team, women’s basketball team and the para-sitting volleyball team almost P800,000 for their traning venue rental, allowances, meals and accommodation expenses.
According to the PPC, Gary Bejino, another promising bet for para-swimming, also has a chance to secure a spot as more slots are to be opened by virtue of the bipartite process. This is also possible for other athletes in other sports.
“We are expecting more slots to be opened by each international federation (IF) per sport,” said PPC Executive Director Dennis Esta.
The PSC hopes to have more athletes qualify to the upcoming quadrennial multi-sport event.
- Exec: Davao light spending P1.85-B in capex in 2021
- Microsoft unveils immersive education solutions to inspire educators in reimagining learning experiences
- Damosa, IWG unveil franchise partnership
- EDITORIAL | The community press today
- STATEMENT | Ending violence and ensuring jobs and rights for Filipina OFWs
- City In Photos
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Automatic writing
- Philippine Media Statement On the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- City In Photos