The Philippine Sports Hall of Fame (PSHOF) 2020 Committee headed by Philippine Sports Commission Chairman William Ramirez, yesterday set the start of nominations to March during their first meeting for the awards body’s fourth enshrinement.
“This is good that we met early so we have ample time to study the nominations,” commented Ramirez while welcoming the members of the screening committee composed of Games and Amusement Board (GAB) Chairman Abraham Mitra, Philippine Olympic Committee Secretary-General Atty. Edwin Gastanes, Integrated Cycling Federation of the Philippines Secretary-General Atty. Avelino Sumagui, University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Executive Director Atty. Rene Saguisag Jr., and SEA Games gold medalist and Philippine Olympians Association President Akiko Thomson Guevara.
The HOF or Republic Act No. 8757, enshrines Filipino athletes, coaches, and trainors who have brought honor and pride to the country in their career, and exhibited exemplary character.
Already, the board has issued two resolutions to be affected this edition. Seeing some areas for improvement, the body agreed to craft recommendations to amend the PSHOF law. Another resolution is to automatically include as nominees previous eligible nominees but did not make the final cut.
The board is also studying to double the cash gift from P100,000. “We will check if this is possible with the budget that we have,” said Ramirez.
The PSC, as the government’s sports agency is directed by law to organize the Screening Committee and the awarding of the Philippine Sports Hall of Fame title to the chosen athletes.
Nomination guidelines and forms will be released in time for the start of nominations on March 1. The awards night is tentatively scheduled for November 5.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success