Three members of the New People’s Army (NPA) brought with them high-powered firearms as they surrendered to the troops of 73rd Infantry Battalion in Malita, Davao Occidental on Saturday.
Lt. Col. Ronaldo Valdez, the commander of 73rd IB, identified them only as alias Botyok, a supply officer, alias Jack, and alias Tayal, who are alleged members of the Guerrilla Front 71, Far South Mindanao Regional Command.
They also surrendered an M16 rifle and an M1 Garand rifle.
Since the start of the year, 23 rebels already surrendered to the battalion, bringing with them a total of seven firearms.
The battalion commander said the rebel returnees will attend crop production training to be facilitated by the Technical Education Skills and Development Authority under the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program.
“They will also undergo a deradicalization seminar in order to prepare them to return to mainstream society,” he added.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories