A Datu Bago awardee from the University of Philippines Mindanao (UP-Min) wants to donate his original art prints, drawings, and paintings to be displayed at the Sangguniang Panlungsod.
Teody Boylie Perez, a professor in the field of arts and a faculty member of the Humanities and Social Sciences Department in UP-Min, aims to highlight his advocacy for the arts as a vehicle for social awareness, reflecting on cultural and political issues.
In his letter, Perez said he wanted to donate his original artworks estimating a total of P300,000 and mount them as a permanent display in the offices and hallways of the Sangguniang Panlungsod.
“As a Datu Bago awardee, I would be showcasing my creations that feature and depict the theme ‘Indigent Lives.’ This would promote understanding and awareness in the struggles and needs of the common people living in Davao City at the same time encourage local arts to the Davaoeños,” he said.
His artworks focus more on the contrasts of life, poverty and inequality, barong-barong (shanty) houses, informal settlements, and urban children in slums.
He wants to promote understanding and consideration for the ordinary people as basis for the expression of artworks. He also wants to translate the lives and stories of indigent people through art.
He also intends to extend his artworks for a public exhibit so that they will be encouraged to help those who are in need. “This is also to promote awareness for the struggles, needs, and social conditions as a platform to encourage people to fight poverty in the world,” he said.
Perez also promotes motivation for artists to provide fundraising and resources for essential programs and serve the appropriate community to build connections of supporters for this cause.
The resolution has been referred to committee on rules, privileges, laws and ordinances and the committee on education, science and technology, arts and culture. The resolution will be subject for second reading during the next session.
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat