An alleged pastor will be arraigned on Feb 24 after he reportedly killed a farmer and wounded the victim’s daughter last Jan. 2 in Kalubihan, Kabacan, Barangay 76-A.
Investigating Prosecutor Serafina Justiniani-Weis said the suspect, Erwin Apolentesima Capul, overpowered the victim, considering that Trinidad Tulo Barriga was already 69 years old at the time of the incident.
Barriga died from three knife wounds on the different parts of the body.
According to the court records, Capul, a resident in Taal Road, Central Park Subdivision, Bangkal, Barangay Talomo Proper, ran amok last Jan. 2 at the Barriga residence in San Isidro, Kalubihan, Kabacan around 6:30 a.m.
The suspect broke into their home and reportedly stabbed Mildred on the face and her father before escaping. Mildred was brought to the hospital in critical condition.
When the suspect was caught by the authorities, he insisted it was self-defense. Based on his version fo the events, the victim struck him first with an iron bar, which forced him to retaliate.
Capul also claimed that Barriga did not approve of his relationship with Mildred.
But the prosecutor found probable cause to indict the suspect for murder and frustrated murder, penalized under Article 248 in relation to Article 6 Paragraph 2 of the Revised Penal Code.
The suspect faces life imprisonment for murder without bail and reclusion temporal, or 12 years and one day to 20 years, for frustrated murder.
- GUEST EDITORIAL | A tribute to Fr. Swamy
- PARADIGM SHIFT | A New Geopolitical Paradigm Between Iran and China
- ROUGH CUTS | We need to restrain our ‘horses’
- COVID vaccination hotlines to receive calls from seniors
- 5 NPA rebels surrender in SK
- 2 nabbed for illegal substances
- MEDICAL LEAVE | Mayor Duterte in Singapore
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 8, 2021
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 7, 2021
- NCCC offers more ways to shop online