Fifty-nine regular members of the New People’s Army (NPA) surrendered to the Eastern Mindanao Command since January.
Speaking in yesterday’s AFP-PNP press conference held at The Royal Mandaya Hotel,
Lt. Col. Ezra Balagtey, the spokesperson of Eastern Mindanao Command, said the surrenderers were the result of the continuous focused military operations in the area.
“If you remember in our record before that was reported, the guerrilla fronts operating are already in the region and provinces,” Balagtey said. “What the troops are doing on the ground are in pursuit of the groups that consolidate in the boundaries of the 60th Infantry Battalion under the 1001st Infantry Brigade.”
They also recorded 16 surrenderers from the Militiang Bayan and 66 from the underground mass organization.
Also, 10 regular NPAs were captured and three killed for the same period.
He said they have already recovered 17 high-powered firearms in the combat operations from January to Feb. 3.
“There are also more encounters reported in Surigao del Sur under the 402nd Infantry Brigade last Jan. 30 that resulted in the recovery of two firearms. Also, an encounter ensued in the area of La Paz last Jan. 30,” he added.
Balagtey said 30 firearms were also endorsed through surrenders since Jan. 1.
“This is an indication of the efficiency of local peace engagements conducted by the different local government units,” he added.
Meanwhile, Capt. Jerry Lamosao, the spokesperson of the 10th Infantry Division, said more than half of the surrenderees were very young.
“Only a little percent are adults because from 2017 to 2018, those elderly in the movement already surrendered,” he added.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021