Three alleged members of the New People’s Army surrenderred to the 73rd Infantry Battalion after a weeklong combat operation in Sitio Loot, Barangay Poblacion, Malapatan, Sarangani Province on Sunday morning.
1Lt. Jessie Hinampas, the Civil-Military Operations (CMO) officer of the 73rd IB, identified them as alias Jemel, Onil, and Roger, all members of Platoon South, Guerrilla Front Tala, Far South Mindanao Region.
They turned over one .30 caliber M1 Garand rifle.
Hinampas said the relentless offensive operations of the troops resulted in the death of two rebels during a clash on Jan. 29 in Sitio Manag-agol, Barangay Kinam, Malapatan. The continued pressure forced the three communist guerrillas to surrender.
In addition, the three men also complained about anxiety, hunger, sleepless nights, and fatigue from days of walking.
“The return of the communist terrorist rebels to the folds of the law is the outcome of an effective combat operation, information provided by the populace, and collaboration with civil authorities,” Lt. Col. Ronaldo Valdez, the 73rd IB commander, said.
“We assured that the rebel returnees will be given financial assistance and livelihood package as part of the Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration Program (ECLIP) of the government to former rebels,” Valdez said.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | May be it’s time for the SP to probe
- Former NPA rebel pinpoints location of buried weapons
- Drug suspect killed during buy-bust
- Simulation exercise vs. terror inside public school a success
- City joins Lunhaw Expo
- Davao de Oro Police Office hailed as best in Davao Region
- 14 barangays declared free of illegal drugs
- UPDATED PROMISE | Official: Bulk water project to start operations in March
- MAD Talks presents: Sa Ngayon, Padayon