An NPA organizer yielded war materiel after she was captured in Barangay Anibongan, Maco in Davao de Oro on Saturday.
1Lt Kim Carlos, the Civil-Military Operations officer of the 71st Infantry Battalion, identified her as Edna Remegio Tan, 48.
Carlos said soldiers of the 71st Infantry Battalion and personnel of the Maco police responded to the information from a concerned citizen about five NPA rebels being sighted in Purok 5, Barangay Anibongan, Maco, Davao de Oro.
Accordingly, the rebels fired at the approaching soldiers, prompting them to retaliate. The communist guerrillas then escaped to different directions but Tan was cornered.
Authorities seized one .38 caliber from her possession with two bullets, one backpack with one improvised explosive device, subversive documents, and personal belongings.
Tan, alias Madame, was a political instructor of the Sub-section Committee Cluster C4 of Guerilla Front 2 (WGF 2) of the New People’s Army (NPA). She was responsible for organizing 10 barangays in Maco, Davao de Oro.
Lt. Col. Sonny E. Gonzales, commanding officer of 71th IB, thanked the residents for providing them with timely information.
“The EO 70 or whole of nation approach where all government agencies, local government units, and private entities or individuals are involved in ending the local armed conflict is indeed effective,” Gonzales said.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories