Following the appointment of former Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) commander Felimon Santos Jr. as the Armed Force of the Philippines (AFP) chief of staff three weeks ago, the commander of the Davao-based army division is taking the vacated post of his superior.
Maj. Gen. Jose Faustino, Jr., outgoing commander of the Davao de Oro-based 10th Infantry “Aguila” Division, is set to assume as the Eastmincom head in a ceremony today at its headquarters in Naval Station Felix Apolinario, Panacan.
Faustino will receive the command from Brig. Gen. Alfredo Rosario, the Eastmincom deputy commander who has been acting as the officer-in-charge since Santos assumed as the AFP chief of staff last Jan. 4.
Santos will attend today’s activity.
Leading the 10th ID, Faustino focused in various operations that resulted in the dismantling of various New People’s Army (NPA) formations in the different communities in Region XI and XII.
Faustino is adept in a wide range of peace and security programs not only in Mindanao but in the whole country, having been assigned in the different units of AFP in various capacities.
He once headed the 11th Intelligence Service Unit based here and fought terrorists in Western Mindanao when he led the 35th Infantry Battalion. He later became the commander of the 501st Infantry Brigade.
A member of the Philippine Military Academy 1988 Maringal class, Faustino spent his junior years with the First Scout Ranger Regiment, an elite unit of the Philippine Army deployed in various conflict-affected areas in the country.
Brig. Gen. Reuben Basiao, meanwhile, will assume Faustino’s vacated post as the 10th ID commander in a separate turn-over ceremony to be held at its headquarters in Camp General Manuel T. Yan in Mawab, Davao de Oro.
Basiao is also a member of PMA Maringal class.
Before taking the 10th ID command, Basiao was the deputy chief of staff for intelligence.
Basiao is no stranger to Davao, having served as the head of the 701st Infantry “Kagitingan” Brigade based in Mati City, Davao Oriental.
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Hard as can be
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Free HIV testing and treatment still available at Davao’s RHWC
- Bakunahang Bayan launched at Tomas Claudio Health Center
- BOC-Davao continues Sasa Port modernization
- SEC Davao warns public vs. APower, OTCJKE
- Honorary Muslim Princess pursues Maranao museum
- PREACHING PaTIENCE | Endure Christmas gridlock a little longer – Mayor Duterte
- 2 suspects killed in shootout with police
- HEALTH OFFICIAL SAYS: Report personnel asking for VaxCert certificate payment