fbpx Press "Enter" to skip to content

Council approves donation to victims of various disasters

The city government will donate P11.3 million as financial aid to the victims of various calamities.

The City Council approved yesterday assistance to calamity-stricken area declared as under the state of calamity.

The funds will help victims of typhoon Ursula, the Davao del Sur earthquake, and the Taal volcano eruption.

During the suspended rules of the session, Councilor Danilo Dayanghirang pushed the measure as City Hall requested urgency for its passage.

“This is the first appropriation coming from the calamity fund of the city in support to those who were victims of the different calamities,” said Dayanghirang, the chair of the Council’s committee on finance, ways and means and appropriations.

The Visayas areas affected by Typhoon Ursula on Christmas Eve last year will get P8.1 million.

The provinces of Aklan, Capiz, Eastern Samar, Leyte, Iloilo, and Samar will be given P1 million each, while towns of Madellin, Daanbantayan, and Madridejos in Cebu; Pandan and Libertad in Antique; Daram in Samar; and San Jose in Occidental Mindoro will be given P300,000 each.

In the Davao del Sur earthquake, the towns of Padada, Matanao, Sulop, and Kiblawan will be given cash assistance of P300,000 each for recovery support.

The city will also give P1 million each to the provinces of Batangas and Cavite, both severely affected by eruption of the Taal Volcano on Jan. 12

Dayanghirang said it has been the tradition of the city to help areas affected by calamities.

“Davao (City) is always giving help to those who need it,” he said. “By practice, the Duterte doctrine never abandoned any calamity victim.”

Share this post:
error
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
Visit Us
Instagram
RSS