Following the Jan. 15 fire in Bankerohan that destroyed some 140 houses, fire victims are asking for construction materials to help rebuild their homes.
The victims are currently staying in the covered court in Barangay 5-A or cooped in the houses of their relatives.
“Kinahanglanon gyud namo no, naa mi’y katulgan na. Karon, bisag asa ra mi. Karon, didto mi sa iyahang bayaw, guot kaayo mi didto kay sila pa, kami pa, ug ang tag-iya pa sa balay. Guot kaayo mi. Nakipuyo ra mi didto (Our urgent need now is for a place to stay. Now, we are sleeping anywhere. We are currently staying with relatives, and the place is already too small to accommodate all of us),” one of the victims, Geraldine Cabigin, explained her current situation.
Meanwhile, the temporary shelter area is also packed with families displaced by the fire.
Nonetheless, they are still thankful for the relief goods and other donations from people. Cabigin said that they already have enough clothes. But what they need the most are materials, so that they can build a new home.
Another victim, Jusan Gonzales, expressed her gratitude for the donations, especially the cash assistance since she is planning on using it to rebuild her home.
“Lisod gyud kung wala kay balay. Ang kwarta karon, gamiton namo na pangpalit og materyales aron makabalik na mi (It is tough when you do not have a house to live in. We will use the donated money to buy materials, so we can get back on our feet),” Gonzales said.
Jay Villarica, chief of staff of First District Rep. Paolo Duterte, said that although they are unable to provide construction materials for now, they hope that the monetary assistance they gave would be of help to the victims (see related story on front page).
- DRIVER SURRENDERS | Fatal hit-and-run victim one step closer to getting justice
- City to host three huge events in March
- Bomb joke lands OFW in jail
- Balinsasayao Twin Lakes provide water for half-a-million people
- ROUGH CUTS | ‘Transient’ tourists only?
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | Dusit-Davao’s Romantic Valentine’s Day Offering
- 10th ID chief vows to cooperate with PNP probers on model’s slay
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Here Dodgy Doggies
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | Is the Mindanao Railway derailed?