Four days after Mt. Taal spewed ashes which blanketed Batangas and nearby provinces, the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) has not lifted its instructions to suspend outdoor training for all national athletes.
“We have been coordinating with the NSAs to look for training alternatives. But then, PSC would always work on the safe side. We will be very prudent and vigilant on the health of the athletes.” said Senior Executive Assistant Marc Edward Velasco who said they recognize that good health is premium for the athletes’ performance.
The PSC suspended all outdoor training and physical activities of national athletes to ensure their safety.
“We cannot risk the health of our national athletes even after the ashfall has lessened. We try to see for another two days if we can resume the outdoor training,” added Velasco.
Some national teams which have been affected mostly by the recent Taal eruption are the windsurfing and skateboard athletes, both based in Batangas.
The Philippine windsurfers are training and staying in Mabini, Batangas which has been put under Alert Level 4 since Sunday.
“We also know that we cannot keep our training hanging for days, so we are now considering some alternatives like moving to Subic Bay Zambales or somewhere in Northern Luzon.” shared Philippine Windsurfing Association, Inc. President Manny Cabili.
National skateboard athlete Mak Feliciano called on his co-athletes after the Taal eruption covered the newly-constructed 3-hectare skate park in Tagaytay City with a thick layer of ashes, leaving it unusable for training or competition.
“Nakakalungkot po kasi ang daming naapektuhan kasama na nga po ung skate park.” said the 22-year-old Feliciano who is now training in Hong Kong.
Feliciano assures that as soon as he gets back in the country, he will help clean the skate park, “Sa ngayon po nagpapatulong kami sa mga kapwa namin skaters na linisin ung skate park.” he explained.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021