Authorities seized around P2.8 million worth of shabu from a Davao-bound passenger in a checkpoint inspection in Barangay Lacson, Calinan District here on Saturday evening.
The driver and six other passengers, all residents from Lanao del Norte, are now under police custody for interrogation.
Capt. Rose Aguilar, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office (DCPO), identified the suspect as Abolkaer Cabugatan, 49, of Lumba-Bayabao, Lanao del Sur.
Held for further questioning included Jerry Gani Ali, 51, of Tugaya; Lando Ali, 50, of Tugaya; Oden Busran, 45, of Bobung; Rosalyn Abdulgani, 40, of Tugaya; Mohammad Gubat, 32, of Bobung; and Norlayla Dipatuan, 19, of Marawi City, and the driver Eddie Acop, 44.
Based on the report, a red Toyota Innova with plate number UIB 152 was traveling from Tugaya, Lanao del Norte.
Upon arriving at the Barangay Lacson checkpoint manned by the Task Force Davao and the Calinan Police Station, the driver and the passengers were directed to alight the vehicle for the mandatory X-ray inspection.
A police officer observed one of the passengers was carrying a sling bag. He was later identified as Cabugatan.
Upon verification, inspectors found 15 sachets of shabu inside the sling bag. The drug, weighting around 179 grams, is worth around P2.8 million.
The driver and the other passengers were later withheld.
Accordingly, the private vehicle was picking up passengers along the highway allegedly “to pay for gas consumption.”
Reportedly, some of passengers were with Cabugatan, and were pointing the blame to each other.
Last month, a man was also apprehended at the TFD checkpoint in Barangay Sirawan, Toril District for carrying P3.3M worth of shabu.
- ROUGH CUTS | Bongbong-Sara tandem? Signs are unmistakable
- DMCI Homes rolls out tech upgrades for Verdon Parc project
- Ford Philippines sustains solid retail performance With 57 percent growth
- Army, Royal Brunei Armed Forces sign TOR on defense cooperation
- EO 59 bans drinking in public places
- Davao City discontinues use of face shields onboard PUJs
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Army accepting applicants to fill quota for 1,050 officers
- PSC supports ASEAN plan to add more Olympic events in SEAG
- NCCA winds down IP month