A man, said to be a pastor, reportedly went amok yesterday, leaving one dead and another wounded in Barangay Bucana (76-A), Talomo District.
Police arrested the suspect identified as Erwin Apolentesima Capul, 56, single, self-employed, of Taal Road, Central Park Subdivision, Bangkal, Barangay Talomo Proper in Talomo District.
The fatality was identified as Trinidad Barriga, 69, farmer.
Barriga’s daughter, Mildred, was wounded.
Based on the police report, Capul went to the Barrigas’ house in San Isidro, Kalubihan, Kabacan around 6:30 a.m. yesterday.
The suspect insisted to enter the house despite the refusal of the father and his daughter to let him in.
An altercation ensued.
Capul pulled a knife from his bag and jumped over the fence.
He reportedly stabbed Mildred in her face.
Mildred managed to run inside the house where she and her father were able to lock the door.
But Capul reportedly destroyed the door and entered the house.
He then stabbed both victims before escaping.
Trinidad sustained multiple stab wounds in his body resulting to his death. The daughter is still in critical condition at a hospital.
The suspect was later arrested after a chase.
Recovered at the crime scene was the folding knife with bloodstains.
Capul, in a radio interview, claimed self-defense.
The suspect insisted that Trinidad was the first to attack him with an iron bar, hitting him at least five times.
He said he ran away but Trinidad still chased him. It was then that he stabbed Trinidad.
Capul claimed that he has a relationship with Mildred and Trinidad disapproved it.
Police are now preparing charges against the suspect.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021