The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) has recorded 802 aftershocks in Davao del Sur, Cotabato, and Sultan Kudarat area following the magnitude 6.9 quake on Dec. 15.
In a Facebook live press briefing posted by the Philippine Information Agency, Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Undersecretary Renato Solidum said the aftershocks are normal occurrence as some faults are still adjusting.
“When the fault moved, creating a magnitude 6.9 earthquake, the surroundings now is adjusting. Even the faults in other provinces were responding. That’s why we are experiencing scattered aftershocks,” he said.
He said that since Monday, more or less 20 DOST-Philvocs personnel were deployed to monitor the situation in Davao del Sur areas.
The agency has recently recorded a magnitude 5.3 earthquake on Dec. 18 at 4:18 a.m., with the epicenter at Padada, Davao del Sur.
Magsaysay, Davao del Sur has also been hit by a magnitude 4.8 earthquake on Dec. 18 at 8:22 am.
Meanwhile, Magsaysay Mayor Arthur Davin said that their town sustained even more damage following Sunday’s quake. He said that in their inventory, at least 3,000 structures were totally damaged.
“The number of damage was much higher compared to the 1,600 total damage caused by the previous earthquakes last month. The town proper acquired the most damage,” he said in an interview.
He said that there will be an ongoing validation and council meetings in the monitoring process of the damage and affected families. He also directed residents to evacuate landslide-prone areas.
Help continues to arrive in the earthquake-affected areas as some private sectors, the Davao City government ,and business establishments have donated cash, food packs, and some relief goods to the victims.
As of now, the residents badly need water, especially in Magsaysay and Padada towns.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success