Police are looking into several angles in the Saturday morning ambush in Barangay Gumitan that led to the death of the barangay captain and his live-in partner.
“There are many angles that (investigators) are looking (into the death of Barangay Gumitan chair Fernando Banayao and partner Jennelyn Valenzuela),” said Capt. Rosario Aguilar, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office (DCPO).
Aguilar said personal grudge could be behind the attack or he was targeted by the communist group.
Banayao, the DCPO spokesperson said, was active in the drive against New People’s Army in his area.
Two men staged the ambush along Upian Road in Mundo Hill, Sitio Quarry, Gumitan around 6 a.m.
Initial investigation disclosed that Banayao was driving his motorcycle with Valenzuela as the backrider along Upian Road.
At a downhill portion, a white Yamaha XTZ motorcycle with two men aboard overtook them. Upon reaching a curved portion, the two unidentified men stopped.
As Banayao reached the point, the two men gunned down the victims.
As the victims crashed, the gunmen pumped three more bullets into the head of the barangay captain.
The attackers then fled.
Police recovered several empty shells of .45 caliber and 9mm from the site.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market