Police are looking into several angles in the Saturday morning ambush in Barangay Gumitan that led to the death of the barangay captain and his live-in partner.
“There are many angles that (investigators) are looking (into the death of Barangay Gumitan chair Fernando Banayao and partner Jennelyn Valenzuela),” said Capt. Rosario Aguilar, the spokesperson of Davao City Police Office (DCPO).
Aguilar said personal grudge could be behind the attack or he was targeted by the communist group.
Banayao, the DCPO spokesperson said, was active in the drive against New People’s Army in his area.
Two men staged the ambush along Upian Road in Mundo Hill, Sitio Quarry, Gumitan around 6 a.m.
Initial investigation disclosed that Banayao was driving his motorcycle with Valenzuela as the backrider along Upian Road.
At a downhill portion, a white Yamaha XTZ motorcycle with two men aboard overtook them. Upon reaching a curved portion, the two unidentified men stopped.
As Banayao reached the point, the two men gunned down the victims.
As the victims crashed, the gunmen pumped three more bullets into the head of the barangay captain.
The attackers then fled.
Police recovered several empty shells of .45 caliber and 9mm from the site.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success