Vice Mayor Sebastian Duterte will be focusing more next year on how to address problems of teen pregnancy.
For example, the vice mayor wants to come up with a solution to arrest the continuous rise of teenage pregnancy in the city.
“We just can’t let majority of our teens to get pregnant without having any knowledge about it. Next year, I would like to give emphasis to the said matter and focus on how to address this problem,” he said in an interview.
According to the Commission on Population and Development (PopCom), Davao Region has recorded the highest number of teenage pregnancies in Mindanao with 18,320 total cases in the first quarter of this year alone. In the city, some 7,636 cases were recorded for the same period.
The PopCom said the numbers were high compared to previous years, and the situation is already nearing the alarming level.
“It is okay that we have a young population, but it seems like it exceeded the exact number of supposed to be a healthy population. This really needs attention,” he said.
He also said that the rising situation may not be good to the city if nothing is done about it.
“I guess it would not be good for the city to let these teenagers get pregnant without finishing their studies because, of course, bearing a baby poses a great responsibility,” he said.
“Some teenagers cannot sustain the needs of their child. Their opportunities in life may lessen as they are to take care of their child. And it is very important that one can finish school, having a kid may hinder them from doing so,” he said.
Duterte, however, said that he and his committee will still be studying how to come up with a solution through research and study.
“Before we come up with an ordinance, we can find studies and solution by studying how other countries have done it, since it is not a unique problem,” he said.
Meanwhile, the vice mayor lauded the efforts and efficiency of the 19th City Council in addressing the multiple challenges the local government is facing.
“We will always improve what needs to be improved for the betterment of the city,” he said.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success