A lawmaker is pushing for the creation of a team that will inspect the reliability and efficiency of fire hydrants in the city.
Councilor Nilo Abellera, committee chair on trade, commerce, and industry, said the team should be composed of the Bureau of Fire Protection, Davao City Water District, and the City Engineers Office.
Following the recent quakes that jolted Mindanao these past few months along with numerous aftershocks, Abellera said that a fire incident is a real possibility.
Reports from BFP XI revealed that a total of 374 fire incidents were recorded from January to October 2018. However, the number dropped to 318 fire incidents for the same months this year.
“This decrease in fire incidents can mean that the public has been more careful, and the fire department has done a good job in preventing fires by spreading and setting fire safety standards. Controlling fire when it occurs is something we can improve on,” he said.
“The most prominent instrument in fighting fire will undoubtedly be the fire hydrants, and its placement and reliability should be our utmost concern,” he said.
He also said that the proposed resolution may be a step forward toward strengthening the preparedness of the city to combat fires whenever and wherever it occurs.
According also to BFP, a total of 715 fire hydrants are currently installed in the city but only 680 are serviceable.
“Fire hydrants should be strategically placed all over the city, and its reliability maintained,” he said.
The proposal cited that the composite team shall be the one to make reports on their findings.
“The time has come for us to inspect the reliability of our fire hydrants, repair, and even install new fire hydrants, if needed, for the protection of houses, establishments, and lives,” he said.
The proposal, he said, will make the city better equipped in fire-fighting. Most of all, it will enable firefighters to respond with greater speed and reliability. The fire hydrants may reduce the work of those who risk their lives to save others.
“At least, we can help firefighters in their work,” he said.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success