Pasay City – Team Philippines Gilas men’s and women’s squads bested Thailand to earn respective gold medals played Tuesday night (December 10) at the Mall of Asia Arena in the 30th Southeast Asian Games.
Gilas Pilipinas men bested Thailand, 115-81 in the gold medal match in front of some 12,462 paying fans to earn its 13th straight men’s basketball title and its 18th in total.
June Mar Fajardo led Gilas Pilipinas with 17 points noting nine in the third canto for a breakaway, 58-39 lead and never looked back. LA Tenorio, Matthew Wright and Marcio Lassiter also landed three-point bombs as Gilas Pilipinas scored 40 in the third quarter alone.
Fajardo also added 13 boards while Christian Stanhardinger finished with a double-double 16 points and 11 rebounds. Tenorio had 16 while Wright added 14 baskets.
Tyler Lamb led Thailand with 33 points, eight rebounds and six assists on a losing effort but finished with the silver.
On the other hand, Gilas Pilipinas women capped its first-ever championship after beating Thailand, 91-71 in the gold medal match.
PHILIPPINES 115 – Fajardo 17, Tenorio 16, Standhardinger 16, Wright 14, Manuel 14, Pringle 13, Ravena 10, Ross 8, Lassiter 3, Aguilar 2, Rosario 2, Slaughter 0.
THAILAND 81 – Lamb 33, Jakrawan 15, Suttisin 7, Leelapipatikul 7, Chanthacon 6, Jaisanuk 6, Muangboon 3, Chungyampin 2, Klahan 1, Langsui 1, Ananti 0, Apiromvilaichai 0.
Quarters: 25-17, 48-39, 88-54, 115-81.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market