Pasay City – Charley Suarez and Nesthy Petecio lived up to their billing as they led team Philippines’ seven gold medal haul in boxing, Monday night (December 9) at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) Hall in the ongoing 30th Southeast Asian Games.
Suarez who traces his roots in Panabo City, bagged the gold in the men’s lightweight (60kg) division after beating Khunatip Pidnuch of Thailand via unanimous decision for his fourth Southeast Asian Games (SEAG) gold medal while Petecio, a Digos City native, shared the limelight by winning her first gold in the biennial meet at the expense of Myanmar’s Nwe Ni Oo with all judges voting on her favor.
“Nagpapasalamat ako sa lahat ng sumoporta sa amin mga boxers. I give this victory to God, my country and my family,” said Suarez, who also proudly thanked the Barangay Uno boxing program in Davao del Norte in which he started and loved the sport.
Also having golden performances for team Philippines were Carlo Paalam of Cagayan de Oro City who outboxed Indonesia’s Kornelis Kwangu Langu (men’s light flyweight 46-49kg) , Rogen Ladon who bested Ammarit Yaodam of Thailand (men’s flyweight 52kg), Jose Gabuco over Edang of Indonesia (women’s light flyweight 45-48 kg) and James Palicte on Van Hai (mens light welterweight 64kg) all via unanimous decisions.
Eumir Felix Marcial also made quick work on Vietnam’s Manh Couong Nguyen via technical knockout in the first round timed at 1:49 for the gold medal in the men’s middleweight (75 kg) division.
Settling for silver medal finishes for team Philippines were Irish Magno (women’s flyweight 51kg), Panabo City’s Marjon Pianar (men’s welterweight 69kg) and Riza Pasuit (women’s lightweight 60kg).
As of presstime (December 10), the Philippines has reach a record mark of 140 golds, 103 silvers and 107 bronze medals, a clearly runaway feat for rivals Thailand (84-92-106) and Vietnam (81-80-95) which are in second and third places, respectively.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success