An active army trooper and a former naval personnel were arrested for gun charges in separate incidents over the weekend in the city.
Operatives of Talomo Police Station arrested Sgt. Stephene Balquedra, 32, a resident of Sarpa Village, Catalunan Grande, Talomo District who is an active member of the 6th Scout Ranger Company based in Sta Cruz, Davao del Sur, past midnight Saturday.
On Sunday, Buhangin Police Station officer arrested Cecilio Calunsag Maisog, 51, a retired Philippine Navy, of Jade Valley, Barangay Tigatto, Buhangin District.
The DCPO said they seized a .45 caliber firearm, serial No. 002613AFP, with a magazine loaded with eight bullets from Balquedra, and another .45 caliber, serial no. 619582, and two magazines from Maisog.
In the case of Balquedra, the soldier and complainant, Loriel Mejias Ycong, 41, of Sta. Martha, also from Barangay Catalunan Grande, were having a drinking session at a billiard hall situated in Sta. Martha in the Friday evening.
A heated altercation ensued between the two at 11:45 p.m.
The soldier went home.
Balquedra returned to the billiard hall and immediately struck the head of the victim using the firearm. He subsequently pointed the gun to the victim.
A witness immediately called for police assistance. An officer assigned in a nearby post arrived and pacified the situation.
The suspect failed to present document to prove legality in possessing the gun.
Balquedra was temporarily withheld at Talomo Police Station.
1st Lt. Allan Wadsilang, the Civil Military Operation (CMO) officer of the 2nd Scout Ranger battalion (SRB), said the soldier had settled the case with the complainant.
In the other case, complainant Elmer Yurag Apa, 58, a mason of Jade Valley was drinking with his relatives inside his house.
Maisog, allegedly already drunk, arrived and joined their group.
Several minutes later, Maisog, without any apparent reason, grabbed Apa’s left arm.
He dragged the complainant outside the house.
The suspect then pulled a handgun from his waist and pointed it to the victim.
Sensing danger, Apa pushed the suspect away and ran for safety.
He then called Central 911.
Police officers arrived and later arrested the suspect at the nearby banana plantation.
The suspect is now being held at Buhangin Police Station.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success