Pasay City – Junna Tsukii and Norman Marz Montalvo added respective medals for team Philippines in karatedo of the ongoing 30th Southeast Asian Games played at the World Trade Center on Saturday, December 7.
Tsukii delivered a golden finish in the women’s -50kg kumite beating Thi Huong Dinh of Vietnam 1-0 after thumping Florence Nay Chi Htun of Myanmar and Nor Azli Siti Nur Azwani of Malaysia in the quarters and Paweena Raksachart of Thailand in the semifinal round.
Montalvo wrapped up a silver finish in the men’s 55kg kumite falling to Prem Kumar Selvam of Malaysia 1-6. He sported victories over Van Hai Nguyen of Vietnam, John Maung of Myanmar in the eliminations and Steves Yuthana Tep of Cambodia in the semis for a ticket to the finals.
Also clinching medals for the team Philippines are Sara Pangilinan and Joco Vasquez who bagged bronze in the kata competition.
The city’s lone bet Rexor Tacay foiled his medal chances after losing to his Vietnam counterpart in the eliminations via a 0-6 count.
“We are happy for both Tsukii and Montalvo who won respective medals. Hope team Philippines will have more to help achieve our overall win aim,”
said Karate Pilipinas Federation Incorporated Region XI director and Association for the Advancement of Karatedo Davao City chief instructor Rommel Tan.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market