A New People’s Army rebel was killed in a clash in the hinterlands of Sitio San Jose, Barangay Durian, Las Nieves, Agusan Del Norte at 8:05 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 4.
Meanwhile, several high-powered firearms, food supplies, medicines, and subversive documents were recovered by troops of the 23rd Infantry Battalion. The community declared the New People’s Army persona non grata in September 2019, led the AFP troops in their hideout
Lt. Col. Ezra Balagtey, the spokesperson of Eastern Mindanao command, said the soldiers of 23rd Infantry Battalion engaged the rebels in a 15-minute firefight.
Balagtey said soldiers recovered one AK-47 rifle, two M16 rifles, four laptops, one generator, 21 backpacks, two sacks of rice, food supplies, medicines, subversive documents, and other personal belongings.
The recovered body of the NPA was already turned over to the barangay council of Durian for identification and proper disposition.
The same group was encountered by the 23rd IB on Nov. 30, in Sitio Salvacion, Barangay Manila de Bugabos, Butuan City wherein two AK-47 rifles, one M16A1 rifle, one M16A1-RMC rifle, five civilian backpacks, subversive documents, and other personal belongings were recovered along with the body of a 16-year-old fighter.
“You have been warned by no less than the communities who do not want your presence in their area,” Lt. Gen Felimon T. Santos Jr., commander of Eastern Mindanao Command, warned the NPA. “We will be relentless in our combat operations to run after those who continue to embrace the violent armed struggle and we will use all legal means to go after you.”
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead