Angeles City – Jezebel Morcillo lived up to her billing as one of the country’s best when she, as expected bagged a gold medal in arnis, Sunday night (December 1) played at the Angeles University Foundation gymnasium.
Morcillo, a member of the Kapitrang Doble Olisi Escrima based in Davao City stood on top of the winner’s podium after beating Thi Huong Nguyen of Vietnam in the women’s live stick bantamweight ( 50kg and less) division finals amidst the partisan crown which cheered wildly for the home team.
She was the lone lady top finisher on opening night after teammate Jude Rodriguez settled for a silver finish in the women under 55kg division.
“She is really a pride of Davao City,” said Kapatirang Doble Olisi Escrima chief instructor Mario Palazuelo who personally witnessed the match.
Joining Palazuelo who cheered for the RP squad is Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri, president of the Philippine Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation who also personally congratulated Morcillo and the rest after their final matches.
The RP arnis squad tallied four gold medals in the men’s division on opening day by Villardo Cunamay, Dexter Bolambao, Nino Mark Talledo and Mike Banares.
As of presstime, the RP arnis squad has a total of five golds, one silver and two bronze medals which add to the country’s total of 26 golds, 15 silvers and nine bronze medals.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead