Upgrading the Intelligent Transport Management System (ITMS) and the Intelligent Operation Center (IOC) of the city will make Davao as the country’s first smartest and safest city.
Rowena Dominguez-Narajos, Davao’s Smart City officer, said that upgrading the two programs will result in a systematic and technology driven traffic, safety, and security monitoring and management for the city.
“The Traffic Signalization Program started in 2009 and it is now 2019, it is just natural that we upgrade everything to fit the evolving technology,” she said.’
The proposal is also in line with the implementation of the High Priority Bus System (HPBS) in the city. The HPBS will require the upgrading of the traffic signalization and the traffic management center.
Davao City has been considered as a Smart City since the implementation of the Public Safety and Security Command Center (PSSCC), which leverages technology in enhancing safety and security of the residents.
One of city’s aim in becoming the smartest and safest city is to involve new technologies.
“A smart city is basically what people see in the movies, where technology plays a vital role managing the city,” she added.
Narajos bared that the United States Trade and Development Agency will also give a grant of $515,000 for the consultancy study of the two projects. “The US will bid out the selection of consultants of our two projects to better prepare the city achieve its plans. It is also the first local government unit to get a USTDA grant in the country,” she said.
The city government is looking forward to the upgrading of the ITMS and the IOC as it has been one of the city’s major undertakings. The IOC will serve as a command center for traffic, safety and security matters, especially during major activities and events.
- Maya named digital bank of the year at the int’l Future Digital Awards
- City investigating committee reconstituted
- Simulation exercise set soon in preparation for Pasko Fiesta
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- EGALITARIAN | Mindanao Futures Thinking
- HONORING MY MOTHER | The incoming waves
- The Rise of Trading in Southeast Asia
- GCash joins hands with BSP, DILG on Paleng-QR Ph rollout
- Spotify Expands Video Podcasting Feature to all Filipino Creators
- CULTURAL POTPOURRI | The Bangayans’ Samgyupsalamat