A 15-member Batang Pinoy delegation coming from an Indigenous Peoples community in Davao del Norte is here in Manila as the Philippine Sports Commission hosts several volleyball exhibition games at the Ynares Arena in Pasig City.
Comprised of 10 secondary girls players from the Ata-Manobo tribe, two coaches, two chaperon and a school administrator, the delegation arrived on Sunday afternoon here in Manila.
The Talaingod girls came here upon the invitation of PSC Chairman William I. Ramirez who watched them play in the gold medal match in the Batang Pinoy Mindanao qualifying early this year and was impressed with the skills of the girls.
PSC Commissioner Charles Raymond A. Maxey, who oversees Mindanao, said the PSC is hosting an exposure for the Talaingod girls volleyball team as part of agency’s mandate of advancing the grassroots sports program and fulfilling President Rody Duterte’s mandate for an inclusive sports program.
“This exposure is part of Chairman Butch Ramirez’s instructions to provide a good exposure and experience for the team which can help them develop their skills in their sport,” Maxey said.
The Commission partnered with the Rebisco Volleyball League organizers for the exhibition games.
The Talaingod girls volleyball team had scheduled exhibition games with high school teams from USA-Hawaii and Thailand.
As support, members of the Talaingod girls volleyball team received sports equipment such as shoes and shirts from PSC Chairman William I. Ramirez.
They also received allowance, free accommodation at PhilSports and transportation.
Arlyn Murillo, who is a school administrator in Talaingod and is the in-charge of the delegation, thanked PSC for the generousity.
“The girls trained for these games. We will see how they will fare out,” she said in the vernacular.
The Talaingod girls volleyball team won the silver medal in the Batang Pinoy National Finals in Puerto Prinsesa, Palawan last August. They also won gold medal in the Batang Pinoy Mindanao leg.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1