The Task Force Davao pushed for a “no parking” policy for motorcycles and other vehicles at San Pedro square and other Pasko Fiesta activity venues.
Col. Consolito Yecla, TF Davao Commander, once again sounded the alarm after the bomb attack in Shariff Aguak, Maguindanao on Nov. 23. The bombers used a motorcycle to hide and detonate an IED.
Yecla noticed that in the first three nights of Pasko Fiesta, many vehicles, especially motorcycles, were illegally parked at San Pedro square. The San Pedro square includes the cathedral, Sangguniang Panlungsod, and City Hall.
He then requested the City Transport and Traffic Management Office (CTTMO), through Public Safety and Security head Angel Sumagaysay, to fully implement the “no parking policy,” in accordance with the maximum security zone.
The TF commander said the City Council already approved the Resolution No. 036-19 on Aug. 6, 2019, declaring San Pedro square as a maximum security zone. In the resolution, the parking of motorcycles and vehicles is prohibited during big events such as Kadayawan and Araw ng Davao.
To address the threat of terror attacks using vehicle-borne IEDs, the Task Force Davao recommended to the City Council on Sept. 9, 2019, to increase the penalty for illegal parking P500 to P2,000.
The recommendation was submitted to the city government after the IED attack in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat on Sept. 7, 2019, which injured eight civilians. The recommendation will be tackled by the City Council today.
Yecla also reminded Davaoeños and visitors to practice the culture of security.
“Everyone should volunteer themselves for inspection, report suspicious persons, remind each other on no backpack policy, no jacket policy, and no non-transparent water container policy, among others, and participate in the security system of the city,” he added.
“People practicing the culture of security is expected not to park their vehicles in crowded areas,” he said.
For the period of 15 months, Mindanao has experienced five IED attacks, resulting in 23 deaths and 155 injuries.
- Asian Banking & Finance cites BDO’s unwavering service despite the pandemic
- Regional Inflation Eases to 6.0% September 2021
- Negative RT-PCR test still required for air passengers
- Water interruption set on Oct. 15
- Cebu Pacific delivers over 20 million vaccine doses across the Philippines
- ROUGH CUTS | Is this Chinese showing his true color?
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – OCTOBER 14, 2021
- Nobody’s Home hits the road in the music video of Ely Buendia-produced “Cigarette Daydreams”
- Restos, Salons, Gyms, Spas and Cinemas back Concepcion’s proposal of lowering alert levels
- Attractive Real Estate Deals Boost September Online Housing Fair Success