The Department of Education (DepEd) has released funds to help schools badly hit by the series of strong earthquakes.
According to DepEd assistant regional director Dr. Maria Ines Asuncion, the DepEd central office released funds for the procurement and construction of temporary learning spaces (TLS) in the Davao del Sur, Digos City, Panabo City, and Davao Occidental.
She said 341 temporary learning spaces must be constructed to cater to the 970,549 total number of affected learners. “We aim to resume classes in the affected areas the soonest,” she said.
The central office released P13 million to Davao del Sur for the construction of TLS–Digos City was given P4 million and Panabo City P2 million.
“Funds will keep on coming to ensure that classes would resume the soonest possible time, but other than DepEd’s support, schools that are heavily damaged received help from some local government units, barangays, provinces and municipalities,” she said.
The TLS standard building will be made of galvanized iron roofs and everything will be made of wood.
Asuncion said that they are expecting that the construction will be completed in the last week of November or second week of December. The regional office issued a memorandum called Oplan Kalinga twinning support to help aid the damaged schools.
“The twinning project aims to support and help certain school divisions so that they can be helped in constructing TLS and be helped in also with curriculum materials. Some school divisions will help damaged learning facilities so that they can operate already,” she said.
Digos City will be supported by the schools in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental. Davao del Sur will be partnered with Davao City and Mati City, and Panabo City will be supported by Tagum City and Davao de Norte.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1