A total of P24.8 million of seized illegal drugs in Davao Region were burned in the capitol grounds of Nabunturan in Compostela Valley around 9 a.m. yesterday.
The ceremonial burning was part of the Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Week, which is celebrated every third week of November pursuant to Presidential Proclamation No. 124.
Antonio Rivera, director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency XI, said they destroyed the seized 2,052.0581 grams of methamphetamine hydrochloride or shabu and 5,329.7028 grams of marijuana. The total contraband had a total estimated street value of P24,891, 182.34.
Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 empowers the PDEA “to take charge and have custody of all dangerous drugs, plant sources of dangerous drugs, controlled precursors and essential chemicals, as well as instruments/paraphernalia and/or laboratory equipment so confiscated, seized, and/or surrendered.”
Nephi Noli Dimaandal, the PDEA XI spokesperson, said the burning of illegal drugs was also important to erase the skepticism of the public that the narcotics are recycled by the arresting officers.
The ceremonial burning was witnessed by the judges of the Regional Trial Court, as well as respective representatives from the Department of Justice, Public Attorney’s Office, elected public officials, and civil society groups.
“This collaborative effort of the five pillars of the criminal justice system serves as a warning to all drug perpetrators that we are working hand-in-hand to suppress the supply of illegal drugs in our country,” Rivera said.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission