The city is donating a total of P3.5 million cash aid to Northern Luzon after Typhoon Quiel damaged the area.
The city council approved the cash aid during the session last Tuesday.
Over 8,000 people were affected by Typhoon Quiel in Northern Luzon, reports from the National Disaster Management Council revealed. Cagayan Valley, particularly the province of Cagayan, sustained the most damage.
Councilor Danilo Dayanghirang, chair of the city council’s finance committee, said the funds will be delivered immediately to the affected areas as ordered by Mayor Sara Duterte.
Cagayan and the adjacent province of Apayao in the Cordillera Administrative Region will each receive P1 million cash aid.
The towns of Allacapan, Abulug, Camalaniugan, Santa Praxedes and Claveria, all in Cagayan, will each receive P300,000 cash aid.
The amount, said Alfredo Baloran, City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office head, will personally hand over the checks to the concerned local government units.
The councilor said the city government has been giving financial assistance to localities that are hit by calamity.
Dayanghirang said there were several private groups and persons who wanted to donate to the affected areas.
He said they were all referred to the Office of the City Mayor.
The mayor, he said, will either course through the donations to the Red Cross or to the City Social Services for delivery to the affected areas.
According to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), Typhoon Quiel already exited the Philippine Area last Saturday but the affected areas are still experiencing rains due to the tail-end of a cold front.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WRITING DETOURS | Confessions of a Fortnite virgin
- ROUGH CUTS | Were they neophyte traffic law enforcers?
- DUBIOUS DISTINCTION | Davao City supplants QC on daily COVID cases: researcher
- 858 affected workers apply for government financial aid
- PSC says yes to Tokyo Olympics budget from POC
- Go Negosyo, PCCI, OCTA Research join hands to push population protection
- DOLE-Davao hosts virtual job fair
- NPA rebel killed in Misamis clash
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Shot again