A policewoman killed the self-confessed killer of a mother and her daughter in an alleged agaw baril (gun-snatching) incident inside the Calinan Police Station on Saturday afternoon.
Maj. Arquiomedes Wesley, the commander of the Calinan Police Station, said Patrolwoman April Lynne Sunga was forced to shoot Renuel Wabinga Habillo, 32, upon seeing that her fellow officer was in danger during a scuffle for the possession of a gun.
Wesley said Habillo “intentionally” grabbed the service pistol of Staff Sergeant Norman Chiong.
Habillo, a farmer, was in police custody after he gave up to a barangay official past Wednesday midnight.
He surrendered minutes after he allegedly killed Evelyn Saganay Lapera, separated, 40, and her daughter Joy, 11, a grade 6 student, in Purok New Waterfall, Barangay Megcawayan, Calinan District.
In the initial investigation, Habillo was undergoing fingerprinting supervised by Chiong around 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, two days after the former was placed under police custody.
Habillo allegedly grabbed the service pistol of Chiong from the officer’s holster. The suspect allegedly pointed the gun at Chiong and fired it twice, but failed to hit the cop.
Grappling with the suspect, Chiong allegedly held the hands of the suspect as he shouted for help.
Sunga, who was inside the investigation office, ran inside to see the two wrestling for the gun. She drew her service pistol and fired twice.
The victim was hit on the forehead and chest.
A medical crew from the Calinan headquarters of Central 911 rushed Habillo to the Isaac Robillo Hospital in Calinan Proper but was pronounced dead on arrival by the attending physician.
The Scene of the Crime Operative (SOCO), led by Maj. Nolan Genova, recovered two fired cartridges from 9mm pistol and some metal fragments.
Habillo allegedly killed the victims out of jealousy when he saw Evelyn with another man.
He gave up to the barangay official and admitted the crime, police said.
- RANDOM THOUGHTS |That’s what Friends are for”
- P300-K BOUNTY | Reward offered to solve woman’s murder
- 10th ID commander finishes tour of duty
- Army cripples two NPA committees in the region
- Catch Levi’s x Pokémon in SM
- DBP bats for changes to its charter amidst expanded role in economic recovery
- CARD MBA receives Golden Arrow Award
- 9 Things Filipino Jobseekers Shouldn’t Include in Their Resume
- AIA Philam Life provides health protection for every Filipino family
- Watsons and SM Cares partner for Trash to Cash recycling market