Soldiers of 29th Infantry Battalion saved the life of a wounded New People’s Army (NPA) fighter while another one was killed in an encounter in a forested area in Barangay San Isidro, Santiago, Agusan del Norte, Saturday, Nov. 2.
Maj. Gen. Franco Nemesio Gacal, the 4th ID commander, said the troops swore to adhere to the International Humanitarian Law (IHL).
They recovered one M4 rifle with sniper scope and another one M4 rifle with two magazines fully loaded with ammunition, two bandoliers, anti-personnel mines, medicine kit, one UHF handheld radio, one backpack containing other personal belongings of the NPAs, and subversive documents.
The wounded guerrilla, alias Kevin, was abandoned by his NPA comrades when they were outmanuevered by the soldiers.
“The Army troops immediately gave first aid to the wounded NPA combatant who is suffering from a gunshot wound on his right leg,” the division commander said.
He was then rushed to the nearest hospital to save his life.
“I commend the brave and professional troops of the 29IB for saving the life of the wounded NPA, for we believe that life is precious and every one deserves a second chance to live peacefuly,” he said.
“I continue to urge those who are still hiding in fear in the mountains to surrender and return to the folds of law and avail the programs of the government while you still can.”
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories