The Structural Engineers Association of Davao (SEAD) will be helping the Kidapawan City to safely take down Eva’s Hotel, which almost collapsed following the intensity 6.5 earthquake last month.
According to Engr. Allan Botuyan of SEAD, Eva’s Hotel acquired level 3 damage, which makes it a candidate for demolition.
“I visited the place (Kidapawan) last Friday and Saturday. We have talked to the local government unit already about the demolition. We are helping them on how to conduct the demolition,” he said.
Botuyan also said that the demolition will be done through “controlled demolition,” or a demolition done with the application of knowledge and help of structural engineers.
“Engineering wise it can be done by controlled demolition starting from the collapsed wall in front then going backward to the rear side of the building,” he said.
“Damage in the building are notable in front, so we are to remove those using a high elevation crane from the top, then moving slowly to the back. We will be assisting LGU’s during the demolition.”
The Ecoland 4000 Residences has to be demolished also since parts of its building collapsed during the quake, said Botuyan.
There are three levels to categorize damage in establishments:
• Level 1 is when it has no cracks on walls and can still be occupied after an earthquake
• Level 2 is when there are notable cracks on walls and posts during the quake. Residents are allowed to enter the establishment with level 2 damage to only pick up their belongings
• Level 3 are those buildings that acquired major damage and are no longer fit for occupation.
He also added that all publicly occupied structures like condominiums, public markets, and commercial buildings are still being inspected by structural engineers.
Meanwhile, the SEAD conducted a lecture for building owners and engineers yesterday to give them points and reminders on how to assess their respective buildings and establishments.
“This lecture will not only benefit the engineers but also those residents and building owners to check not just the complex buildings but also those simple once such as houses,” he said during the SEAD briefing/lecture on the basics of earthquake at Qualitiest Solutions and Technologies, Inc., Diversion Road.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- FANTASTIC BEASTS | The secrets of dumbledore, and more titles streaming on HBO go via sky
- Residents urged to be vigilant vs COVID-19
- ROUGH CUTS | Davao City’s other face
- SEC issues cease and desist order against Wellcons Unlimited Systems, Inc.
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – JUNE 29, 2022
- DOLE brings livelihood grants to Davao de Oro
- Statement on affirmation of revocation of Rappler’s Corporate Registration
- No untoward incident during oath-taking of incoming mayor
- City, DavOr, 5 towns under Alert Level 1