The management of the Ecoland 4000 Condominium knew there were problems on the integrity of the structure as they were already handed a recommendation for its condemnation last Oct. 30 by the City Engineers Office, Mayor Sara Duterte said during her site visit yesterday noon.
The mayor said she spoke with the building administrator and was told they had conducted forced evacuation.
Also, the unit owners were informed by the management that the building was no longer fit for residential use but the unit owners reportedly said they had nowhere to go.
Duterte said they will discuss possible legal action against the Ecoland 4000 management with the City Legal Office if the city finds evidence that they violated the recommendation of the CEO.
Ecoland 4000 residents can use the evacuation site in Barangay Los Amigos, Tugbok District, the mayor said.
The CEO has been assessing bridges, buildings and infrastructures for possible damage and casualties since the Oct. 16 earthquake.
Two major bridges, Bankerohan and Bolton, were found to have cracks but remain passable.
The Bankerohan Bridge were assessed by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) together with the CEO because cracks in some areas of the bridge were noted.
The Bolton bridge can only hold 20 tons as there were damages in its diaphragm wall below the bridge down to its stream side.
The CEO continues to assess and inspect possible structural damages in big buildings, infrastructure, malls and schools in the city.
“As per Central 911, the 2nd floor of the (Ecoland 4000) building was the most damaged, and they are still assessing for possible casualties,” Mayor Duterte said.
She also said that there were no reported casualties in parts of the city, aside from the nine injured people in the 4000 condominium.
“We are still trying to confirm reports from Marilog, particularly in Buda, but until now there were no feedback from the Provincial Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) in Buda about the reported damage in the bridge that hit a house,” she also said.
The City Risk Reduction and Management Office will come up with consolidated reports on the final and fixed data results of the assessment conducted by the CEO.
Meanwhile, Duterte announced that there will be an extended cancellation of classes from kindergarten to post-graduate studies in all private and public education institutions, as well as government offices.
“All classes and work will resume on November 5, Tuesday, to assure that building employees and school administrators can properly assess their infrastructure,” she said.
The mayor advised residents to stay alert, and not to panic when calamities like this occur.
“Watch out for collapsed buildings, and fire incidents when aftershocks occur. Always inspect buildings and damages, and call for structural engineers for assistance and help,” she said.
Duterte also declared that Oplan Undas will still be observed, as the response and rescue units and the social services units in the city will be on skeletal enforcement for the All Saint’s Day and All Soul’s Day. (Aileen Sampang and Sam Burgos)
- Discover new tech trends and the new retail at the Stores Asia Expo 2022
- 10th ID donates aircons to seniors
- `Disgraceful version’ Sara lambastes Walden Bello for `blaming’ her for libel case
- Man missing as floods hit city, bares CDRRMO
- Thai, 14 others to judge `Indak-indak’, says organizer
- Councilors acknowledge Times’ role in shaping Davao’s history
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- Davao Light and Poer Co., Inc. Service disruptions on August 11, 12, and 13 in different areas of Davao City
- ROUGH CUTS | One light moment with the late FVR
- OFFICIAL | Number of enrollees seen to surpass number last year