Rain or shine, the streets of Camiguin were packed with excited spectators last Saturday, October 26, as contingents gave their terpsichorean best for the street dancing and ground presentation competition.
The said events, one of the highlights of the 40th year of the Lanzones Festival, gathered 8 groups from local government units, government agencies, as well as schools in the island province of Camiguin.
For the street dancing competition, Yumbing National High School with the support of the business sector and national agencies won the top plum, followed by Fatima College of
Camiguin supported by the contractors group and the congressional office; Camiguin National High School supported by LGU Catarman; LGU Mahinog supported by Columbia St Michael. Parish HS, Sixto A Abao National High School, Mahinog National High School; and Mambajao National High School supported by LGU Mambajao.
For the ground/tableau presentation, Yumbing National High School also won the top place, followed by LGU Mahinog, Fatima College of Camiguin, Mambajao National High School, and Camiguin National High School.
Special awards were also given to LGU Mahinog for Best in Costume “Bai ta Buahanan and Best in Costume “Datu ta Buahanan”. Yumbing National High School won the Best in Costume Contingent, Best in Musicality, and Best in Props.
By evening, Camiguin also crowned its new Mutya sa Buahanan Cris Antonette Teaño and her court, 1st Runner-Up Marla Alforque, 2nd Runner-Up.Sheena Mae Balansag, 3rd Runner-Up Nice Lampad, and 4th Runner-Up Ciara Riveral.
Other festival events include various sports competitions, variety shows featuring Manila celebrities, bands and DJs, trade fair that features a free lanzones-all-you can, among others.
While it grows in other parts of Mindanao, the sweetest lanzones can only be found in Camuguin, thanks to the island’s rich volcanic soil. So sweet, locals call it the “fruit of the gods”.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- As many as 27,000 booster shots can be administered daily: official
- Vaccination rollout for 5-11 age group pilot-tested in Manila first before DC
- 5 arrested in buy-bust, drug den raid
- Honda introduces its newest rough terrain bike
- Jarlo Bâse marks his major label debut with soulful, laid-back track “Kalapati”
- J-Pop queen Hikaru Utada delivers another pop masterpiece with eighth studio album, Bad Mode
- Concepcion backs DOLE’s call to private sector employers, but insists it should be voluntary
- WANDERLUST | Blue Lotus Hotel holds relaunch
- NPA regional committee in R-11 to be dismantled in next months