The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) has requested the City Council here for an endorsement and a resolution imposing no objection on the proposed Samal Island-Davao City (SIDC) Connector Bridge Project.
DPWH Undersecretary Emil Sadain said the resolution from the City Council will aide in the upcoming activities including to facilitate the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).
“Inasmuch as Environmental compliance is concerned, a detailed Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) must be submitted by the consultant in order to obtain Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC),” Sadain said in his letter to the city council.
Sadain added the ECC is essential in order to address the nature and magnitude of environmental potential impacts.
The acquisition of the ECC is part of the feasibility study that is nearing its completion conducted by the Arup and Partners Hong Kong Ltd. Preliminary discussions have already been undertaken by Arup’s local environmental consultant, Galerion Environmental Consultancy with the affected barangays both in Davao City and Samal Island.
The SIDC Connector Bridge Project, part of the current administration’s Build, Build, Build program, was conceptualized some 40 years ago.
The project runs approximately three kilometers in total length connecting this city (in Barangay Vicente Hizon Sr., Buhangin District) and Samal Island (either in Barangay Limao or Barangay Caliclic in the Island Garden City of Samal, a fourth class component city of Davao del Norte).
“(It) aims to accelerate economic development that would enhance internal circulation, mobility, and external linkages to support the growth potential of Davao Region,” Sadain said.
The project costs P23.22 billion.
The upcoming activities include the EIA, public consultation or scoping, and ground investigation surveys.
- Xendit launches cardless installment option in PH
- Security Bank and Krungsri approve capital infusion to SB Finance
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ADD’L DOSES | Top official: City may also receive Novavax vaccines
- Online campaign pushes for takeover of Nordeco areas
- Suspect in shabu arrested
- ROUGH CUTS | What could be Duterte’s legacy?
- PARADIGM SHIFT | ASEANS’s cheap talk on democracy
- BDO posts P28.2-B net income in 2020
- pandaTODA riders share their success stories