The Task Force Davao is recommending that the Aboitiz Power Subsidiary Therma South, Inc. (TSI) in Toril will be declared as a maximum security zone.
Earlier, the City Council approved the measure declaring San Pedro Square and Roxas Night Market as a maximum security zone.
Col. Consolito Yecla, the commander of TF Davao, has already sought the guidance of Mayor Sara Duterte in the wake of the torching of of Saudi Oilfields last month, which indicates the vulnerability of critical infrastructures to terrorist attacks.
The TSI is a critical infrastructure in the city, producing up to 300 megawatts of electric power. Disruption of its operation will result in substantial economic losses not just to Davao City but Mindanao, as well.
As part of its preparation, at around 10 a.m. on Oct. 9, 2019, the TF Davao, Davao City Police Office, and Therma South’s security personnel conducted a simulation exercise to gauge preparedness in case of an armed attack.
He said the exercise also aims to assess and improve the readiness of the internal security of TSI and alert teams in responding to a critical incident.
Also on Tuesday, the TF Davao also conducted the anti-terrorism forum for around 190 fisherfolks, bantay dagat volunteers, barangay officials, and tanods and the community.
“This is to prevent exploitation of issues by the terrorists in the community. To ensure support of the community, the task force plans to identify and recommend quick-win projects for the community,” he said.
Last Sept., Yecla and his staff visited the TSI for a briefing, inspection and security assessment. With the planned declaration of Maximum security zone in the area, the TSI will be included in the security and patrol coverage of Task Force Davao in land and sea.
“Assistance in the area of intelligence will be provided for internal and external issues of TSI. Security assessment and simulation exercises will become a routine for TSI and security clusters,” he added.
Magno G. Adalin Jr., coal security manager, in his statement, welcomed the recommendation of the Task Force Davao.
“We know that there are still a lot of things to do, a lot of procedures to iron out, a lot of training to undertake. This activity is the template in securing a facility that a lot of people will be looking at and referring to and Task Force Davao is helping us to take that first step,” Adalin said.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission