Davao City – Burly Nico Santos came into the rescue as time expired when he canned the winning basket to hand MCF’s its ninth win at the expense of team Sanman/Ion Red, 85-84 in the ongoing Atty. Sarona-Montana TTH 3rd Season basketball tournament, October 3 at the Montana Gym and Recreation Center.
Santos, known for his burly antics mostly on the defensive stance, drilled the winning lay-up as time expired as MCF improved to a 9-2 win-loss count on the league’s second round elimination. He took the winning lay-up off a pass from a driving teammate Boyong Alindao for the victory.
Santos and Alindao’s MCF was trailing 80-84 with 49 seconds remaining in the final canto before Glenn Esmero drilled a jumper to cut the lead 83-84.
Sanman/Ion Red veteran center Nonoy Valencia fumbled his attempt on their next possession that should have granted a cushion lead that left 23 seconds remaining in regulation. Then came MCF’s last play with Alindao making the drive thus giving up the ball to an open Santos on the final tick for the game-winning basket.
Alindao led MCF with 26 points backed by playing manager Rene Tagalog with 19, the pair of Allan Betonio and Donz Calipayan with 15 and 13 each while co-playing manager Bong Dadulo had six for the Jaime Quije-coached squad.
“I was on the right place at the right time,” said Santos who finished with four points and a couple of rebounds.
The loss was Sanman’s seventh setback in 11 matches. (jon develos)
- Security forces support Baste leading RPOC XI
- Davao City jail opens mini-library
- Optimized security
- 3 arrested for drugs, unlicensed gun at checkpoint
- The New Channel: Always looking for the next highlighting its social advocacy, Global Women Who RULE 2023
- AirAsia Philippines records 95% increase in March bookings
- CDRRMO rates quake drill response at 8 or 9
- 174 PDLs test negative in random jail drug test
- UM founder to be honored by CPAs
- Classes canceled