A councilor intends to establish an early intervention and holistic care center for children with special needs.
Councilor Antoinette Principe said in her privilege speech on Tuesday that Davao City needs to establish such center so that children with special needs are given interventions on physical, cognitive, social, and emotional development.
The center will cater to special needs of children and youth, such as, intellectual disability, global developmental delay, communication disorders, autism spectrum disorder, motor disorder, and other neuro-developmental disorders.
Principe said that she recently joined a benchmarking visit to Valenzuela City’s Special Education Center, a medically advanced holistic care facility that caters to young city residents with special needs.
“While this proposal is still in the conceptual stage, I am confident that this august body will recognize the importance and necessity of having a special care center as I appeal for your support in the interest or our citizens and of the children with special needs,” Principe said in her speech.
According to Principe, the provision of special early intervention and care prepares the child for basic education offered by the DepEd-managed Sped learning centers.
It will provide in-house experts such as audiologist, ophthalmologist, physical therapist, speech and language therapist, psychiatrist and school psychologist.
The item was referred to the committee on social services, committee on education, committee on finance, committee on women and children, committee on health, committee on appointments and committee on human rights.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- ROUGH CUTS | May be it’s time for the SP to probe
- Former NPA rebel pinpoints location of buried weapons
- Drug suspect killed during buy-bust
- Simulation exercise vs. terror inside public school a success
- City joins Lunhaw Expo
- Davao de Oro Police Office hailed as best in Davao Region
- 14 barangays declared free of illegal drugs
- UPDATED PROMISE | Official: Bulk water project to start operations in March
- MAD Talks presents: Sa Ngayon, Padayon