The Ancillary Service Unit recorded 21,428 sacks of garbage collected from 26 coastal barangay and seven riverbanks from January to August this year.
“There is still an evident lack of discipline among us, Davaoeños. Aren’t we supposed to be disciplined?” said Paul Bermejo Ancillary Service Unit (ASU) chief in the sidelines of yesterday’s flag-raising ceremony at City Hall grounds.
The ASU collected 2,804 sacks of garbage in January; 2,537 in February; 3,168 in March; 2,719 in April; 2,817 in May; 2,170 in June; 2,066 in July; and 3,147 in August.
Other than irresponsible dumping of wastes, Bermejo also said that Davaoeños do not practice proper waste segregation as provided by national and local laws including the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000 or the Republic Act 9003.
“If we can segregate from the households, the only waste matters that we will deliver to the pick-up points are residuals,” he said.
He added that it is very evident that the RA 9003 “has no impact among Davaoeños” given the disregard of proper waste management. “Proper solid waste management should be part of our discipline,” said Bermejo.
Bermejo also explained that segregation start from home.
“The City Environment and Natural Resources Office will only gather our garbage. The notion that residents no longer segregate wastes because it will still be mixed up in the pick-up point by the garbage collector is wrong. In the first place, the household should only deliver to pick-up points the residual wastes,” said Bermejo.
He added that recyclables and other biodegradable should not be thrown in the landfill but managed properly by each household.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission