A homicide accused was killed while a police officer was wounded in a gun fight during a police operation in Barangay Mahayag, Bunawan District on Saturday morning.
Major Noel Villahermosa, the commander of Bunawan police, identified the fatality as Basilio Monteroso Abrigoso, 46, of Piatos, Barangay San Isidro (Licanan), Bunawan District.
Abrigoso was wanted for homicide as a warrant of arrest was issued by Judge Ronald Tolentino of Regional Trial Court Branch 52.
The wounded officer was identified as Cpl Joel Villegas of Bunawan Police Station.
Villahermosa said they received a reliable information at 8:30 a.m. Saturday that the accused was sighted at Mahayag, which was celebrating its fiesta.
Immediately, Villahermosa led his men in conducting a roadblock in Liloan, Barangay Mayahag, also in Bunawan, where the fugitive might pass.
By 9:15 a.m., the suspect, riding in a motorcycle with a companion, was passing the road. But upon seeing the roadblock, he tried to elude the arresting team.
As the officers approached them, one of men in the motorcycle fired a handgun for several times, hitting one of the officers identified as Corporal Villegas.
The operatives returned fire but the suspects were able to escape on foot.
A team brought Villegas to the Southern Philippine Medical Center while another group conducted a hot pursuit operations.
The operatives first cornered and arrested his companion, later identified as the accused’s elder brother, Rogelio Abrigoso Jr., 49.
Police chased the prime target until they reached an abandoned house in Purok 8, Mahayag. Instead of giving up, he engaged in operatives in a gun fight.
After an exchange of gunfire for several minutes, the suspect was killed.
The Scene of the Crime Operatives team, led by Maj. Nolan Genozava, recovered in the crime scene an Armscor .45 caliber with serial no. RA050368; five fired cartridge cases of 5.56 ammunition and four fired cartridge cases of .45 caliber, two magazines of caliber .45, eight live .45 caliber bullets and two more fired .45 caliber bullets
The body of the accused was brought to Rivera Funeral Homes.
The suspect’s brother is now under the custody of Bunawan for proper disposition.
Villegas is now in stable condition.
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- As many as 27,000 booster shots can be administered daily: official
- Vaccination rollout for 5-11 age group pilot-tested in Manila first before DC
- 5 arrested in buy-bust, drug den raid
- Honda introduces its newest rough terrain bike
- Jarlo Bâse marks his major label debut with soulful, laid-back track “Kalapati”
- J-Pop queen Hikaru Utada delivers another pop masterpiece with eighth studio album, Bad Mode
- Concepcion backs DOLE’s call to private sector employers, but insists it should be voluntary
- WANDERLUST | Blue Lotus Hotel holds relaunch
- NPA regional committee in R-11 to be dismantled in next months