Chef de Mission William Ramirez has trimmed further the rough edges on procurement procedures for equipment vital not only to the successful hosting of the 30th Southeast Asian Games but as equally important for Team Philippines emerging as overall champion.
In a major coordination meeting—the fourth by the Team Chef de Mission—on Friday at the PICC, Ramirez reiterated the full support of the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC), which he chairs, for all 56 sports on the SEA Games program.
“Tell us your problems and let’s get them solutions,” Ramirez told national sports association (NSA) presidents and secretary-generals and competition managers. “Let’s resolve all issues today and make sure we smoothly host the games.”
Ramirez was not alone in addressing the assembly, a guarantee that everyone in Philippine sports hierarchy were fully behind the Games.
Present were Philippine Olympic Committee President Abraham Tolentino and Chairman Steve Hontiveros, PSC Commissioners Charles Maxey and Celia Kiram, Deputy Chef de Mission Stephen Fernandez and Philippine SEA Games Organizing Committee Executive Director Tom Carrasco.
“This [gathering] will be a test of leadership of Filipino sports leaders. This will be a challenge. Today we are not PSC, POC or Phisgoc. We are all Philippine team” Ramirez added.
Further cementing support to Team Philippines was Phisgoc Chairman, House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano, who emphasized that solidarity among the PSC, POC and Phisgoc has become unbreakable. “We have had 3 Presidents of POC and I know, again, it’s not easy. But right now, then on November 30, dalawa lang naman choice natin — work together and be successful, or not work together and be unsuccessful,” said Cayetano.
PHISGOC functional areas on ticketing, accommodation, venues, transportation, logistics and sports briefed the assembly on developments toward the Games that kick off in two and a half months from November 30 to December 11.
Following discussions on the progress of work for the Games hosting, minor hitches on completion of venue requirements at least in weightlifting, squash, kickboxing, skateboard and obstacle sports were addressed.
Cayetano, meanwhile, bared that the PHISGOC Executive Board will appoint its own point person to help hasten procurement of vital equipment. The board is led by Cayetano, Tolentino and Ramirez.
- Insular Life launches Prime Secure Lite, affordable term life insurance with additional COVID-19 coverage
- GO NEGOSYO HITS 2 MILLION FB FOLLOWERS
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – May 12, 2021
- PROTECTING THE ELDERLY | 300 senior citizens get vaccine shots at two COVID-19 jab sites
- 126 barangay workers benefit from Chinese- donated supplies
- City has the budget to cover more free swab tests | Sara
- 23 rebels with pending arrest warrants surrender to DCPO
- AFP to detail 117 military athletes to PSC
- WANDERLUST | Seda Abreeza: celebrating a meaningful anniversary
- ANALYSIS | UNAIDS chief to make first virtual mission