The Police Regional Office (PRO) 11 is now ready with its tracking team to manhunt released convicts who would not heed the 15-day grace period given by the President to surrender.
Police regional director Brig. Gen. Marcelo Morales, in a statement, urged those freed convicts who are now staying in Davao Region “to just surrender and submit themselves peacefully to the law enforcers.”
“I am calling all of them… to go to their nearest police station and make themselves available,” he said.
He vowed that manhunt will be on after the grace period expired.
“We will enforce the law as we are mandated to,” Morales said, warning those who will resist that “reasonable force” will be applied.
The PRO did no give details on the numbers and details of convicts released from the Davao Prison and Penal Farm (Dapecol) who were able to avail of the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law. There is also no information on convicts who are from this city that were freed from other facilities under the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).
Five days ago, President Duterte directed almost 2,000 heinous crime convicts who were freed under the GCTA to surrender until Sept. 19 to give up.
So far, one freed heinous-crime convict gave up in Davao region.
Danilo Alvarez Palicte, a convicted child rapist, was released from Dapecol last April 16. He gave up last Friday morning.
Palicte, a resident of Bajada here where he stayed during his temporary freedom, was convicted for raping a minor in a 1989 case. His penalty was not stated in the report but statutory rape carries a maximum penalty of reclusion perpetua.
He is now under the custody of Investigation and Detective Management Branch (IDMB) of the Davao City Police Office, while waiting order from the Department of Justice for his turn over back to BuCor.
Duterte has fired Nicanor Faeldon as BuCor director general following the release of thousand of heinous-crime convicts who were not supposed to enjoy the GCTA law.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021