Despite six fatalities, the Department of Health (DOH) Region 11 noted a 27% reduction of dengue cases last month.
Based on the DOH data presented during a media forum at the Department of Health yesterday, reported dengue cases in Davao Region last August dropped to 993 from 1,264 cases in July.
“As of August 30, there had been a 27% reduction of the cases compared to the previous month,” said Engr. Antonietta Ebol, Dengue Prevention Control Program coordinator of DOH 11.
Six victims died last month, less than the 15 deaths reported in July.
According to the DOH, for the said period, Davao City topped the list with 627 cases with one death.
Davao Oriental followed with 104 cases with 2 deaths while Davao del Norte reported 101 cases with one death.
Compostela Valley recorded 96 cases.
Davao del Sur had 62 cases with 1 death, while Davao Occidental had three cases with 1 death.
“Right now, we have an ongoing assessment for dengue preparedness and response. We have dispatched team in Davao City throughout the hotspot areas,” Ebol updated.
She added that 3,000 kits of NH1 Dengue Rapid Test Kits are expected to arrive within the week.
Ebol also said they have already dispatched mosquito nets to the provinces, particularly to the hotspot barangays.
She also informed that there were 30 hotspot barangays in the city. Those with higher cases include Buhangin, Talomo North, Talomo Central, Talomo South, and Agdao.
Dr. Annabelle Yumang, DOH regional director, said they relaunched a campaign to curb the dengue cases following the declaration of the National Dengue epidemic last Aug. 6.
“We also relaunched the 4 o’clock habit so we hope that this will be continued by the community,” Yumang said.