And a man of all seasons. He was born on June 22, 1890 during our country’s Spanish era; achieved manhood during the American-Commonwealth decades; and died a P.O.W. in 1945 during the last days of the Japanese occupation.
To me, now a senior at 75, the most amazing fact about this man was that he died when he was only 55, not even a senior, yet he accomplished many feats from an enlisted private, he rose through the military ranks to be the 1st Filipino Chief of Staff handpicked by Gen.McArthur and President Quezon. He is the only Chief of Staff awarded the Medal of Valor for combat heroism. As the National Director of Prisons, he founded the National Penitentiary at Muntinglupa and the Davao Penal Colony. As National Land Settlement Director, he founded the municipalities of Tupi, Polomolok, Banga, Marbel and Dadiangas – now a city named after him. This man is my grandfather- Gen. Paulino Torres Santos, whose death we remember today.
General Santos City Today
General Santos City will celebrate its annual Tuna Festival, now in its 21st year, starting August 30 Until September 5.
GenSan today is Mindanao’s most progressive city after Davao City — surpassing the “older” cities of Cotabato, Zamboanga, Cagayan de Oro and others.
Its well-planned avenues, boulevards and streets will stave off the traffic woes experienced today in Metro Manila, Cebu, and Davao.
The city boasts of many tourist amenities — 4-star hotels, excellent restaurants (BIG BEN Steakhouse), spas and beaches.
In the words of BILLY JOEL:
“Honesty is such a lonely word
Everyone is so untrue;
Honesty is hardly ever heard;
But not where we’re going tonight.
There – Honesty is not only the
Best Policy – it is the only Policy.
The Matina Gallera, Site of the 9-Stag Derby
Where the AdD
HS’60 Seniors have/Remaining Entry.
Wise men say that our SABUNGAN
Is the most honest place in our Country.
- The spirit of summer at Kultura
- Soldiers clash with NPA, recover firearm, ammo
- Man busted in drug bust
- GenSan records first UK variant
- Message of Presidential Peace Adviser, National Task Force against COVID-19 Chief Implementer and Vaccine Czar Secretary Carlito G. Galvez, Jr. on the observance of the Holy Month of Ramadan 2021
- ROUGH CUTS | We cannot win vs. CoViD with this
- TIMESMAN | Our silver wedding anniversary!
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- WORK IN ISOLATION | Allow COVID-19 employees to continue work in facilities: Sara
- TODAY’S HEADLINES – April 15, 2021