The City Council passed on first reading the request of Barangay 30-C to approve a barangay measure that outlines barangay’s protocols in handling cases of violence against women and children (VAWC).
In yesterday’s regular session at the City Council Building, the legislators forwarded the item to the committee on rules and privileges, headed by Councilor J. Melchor Quitain, for the needed hearings.
Officials of Barangay 30-C in Poblacion District, on March 22, passed Barangay Ordinance No. 003-19 that aims to establish VAWC desk at the barangay hall and a launch protocol in handling VAWC cases in the said barangay.
The establishment of the protocol, the barangay ordinance said, is “an intervention that will raise the consciousness of the public in recognizing the dignity of women, ensuring support for victims, bringing perpetrators to justice and making a long-term plan to prevent violence in all forms.”
The barangay chair, once the barangay ordinance is given the nod by the City Council, would be required to provide an area in the barangay hall for the said cases, as well as ensure the confidentiality of the cases and privacy and safety of the victim-survivor.
The barangay chief would likewise be required to designate a point person trained in gender-sensitive handling of cases, “preferably a woman barangay kagawad or woman barangay tanod.”
The person, in case no one is immediately assigned at the desk, will be required to undergo a gender-sensitivity training and orientation on anti-VAW laws.
The measure also outlines in detail the protocols in handling VAWC cases at the barangay level.
This includes the proper procedures in keeping the records of victims, as well as the coordination with authorities, such as the Philippine National Police and the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
Included in the protocols are the roles of the barangay in providing remedies for victims, including the release of barangay protection orders.
- MG Mall Of Asia joins MG Philippines’ Nationwide Dealership Network, and is the first MG Dealership to feature a unique MG “Carffé” Coffee Shop
- EGALITARIAN | Catching up with our neighbors
- CHEMICAL SPILL | Public warned vs. water activities at Davao River until declared safe
- Kadayawan 3D light show at City Hall starts on Aug. 5
- Ex-DA chief Piñol calls for NFA revival to promote PH banana
- HONORING MY MOTHER | Family album
- ROUGH CUTS | Our hat off the CHO
- SEC cancels Flying Bear’s lending license, registration
- City readies aid to quake victims
- LGU, DOH link to enhance campaign on family planning