A member of Manobo tribe who joined the New People Army (NPA) surrendered to the 36th Infantry Battalion at its headquarters in barangay Dayo-an, Tago, Surigao del Sur at 9 p.m. on Sunday.
1lt Jonald Romorosa, the Civil-Military Operations officer of the 36th IB, identified him as alias Jobert, 20, single, and a resident of Barangay Agsam, Lanuza, SdS.
Jobert was reportedly a member of Team Baking, Squad 1, Guerrilla Front 30 of the North Eastern Mindanao Regional Committee. He brought along one AR-18 (Elisco) bearing SN 035073, one magazine with eight bullets, and two anti-personnel landmines.
According to Jobert, he joined the rebel group due to adventurism. He was also deceived by the false promises about helping uplift the lives of the poor as one of the soldiers of the masses.
“Life there was so difficult. Every day we roam the mountains looking and seeking for an answer to our cause. I voluntarily surrendered because I was afraid that maybe one day, my life will be in danger and a possibility that someday I cannot see my family anymore,” he said
He said his last contact with the NPA was in May of this year.
In a statement, Lt. Col. Xerxes Trinidad, commanding officer of the 36th IB, said the NPAs hold on Surigao del Sur is on the verge of a collapse. “They are continuously losing their regular members and fighters. In this light, we call on to the remaining CTGs members to abandon their armed struggle and join the government,” he said.
- `Crime of passion’ | Durante, 9 others tagged in Yvonette Plaza murder
- Rain causes landslide in Malabog
- ROUGH CUTS | Too much love involved here
- Editorial Cartoon of the Day
- 100,000 health cards seen to be released this year, say
- HIGHER RATE | Dabawenyos to pay 20% more for water
- PH to send 14 athletes to Asian Lawn Bowls Championships
- Oil prices up for second straight week
- Barangays told: Set up your reading centers
- SOLDIER MURDERED | Unknown killers shoot soldier dead